One Server to Rule Them All -
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

199.188.100.226:23594

HomeHome  PAgePAge  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?

Go down 

More Town Interactions?
Turn No-PvP off in all towns
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap18%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Don't change PvP in towns
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap9%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Lower the upkeep significantly
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap18%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 18% [ 2 ]
Raise the upkeep significantly
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap0%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 0% [ 0 ]
Don't change the upkeep
 18% [ 2 ]
Get rid of all the little towns below 5 players after some time.
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap27%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 27% [ 3 ]
Let the small towns stay and spam the /t list
Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_lcap9%Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Vote_rcap
 9% [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 11

AuthorMessage

Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Empty
PostSubject: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyWed Sep 19, 2012 7:07 am

Greetings everyone,

As I have been playing on the server I have noted that many people wish for more town to town interaction. This interaction I believe would include trade agreements, alliances and even war.

In my opinion the core problems are:

-That towns are now areas where everyone is forced to build if they wish to avoid griefs. (Following rule change 17 'Griefing allowed outside towns')
-Towns have no relations with other towns or any reason to have such pacts.
-Towns are invincible areas and 100% safe for inhabitants, meaning that there is never conflict. (Because of No-PvP option)
-Town leaders cannot spend time working to create a 'greater' town because they must pay ridiculous amounts of money to stay afloat.
-There are too many little towns.

In essence I feel that towns are a key part of the server yet they are not being used to their full potentials. Those afraid of war and the PvP aspect should relax because griefing is still banned. A door on your house will keep you safe from nasty folk and even a wall around your property will prevent intruders. Better yet, make a treaty and get some backup from the larger powerhouse towns.

I know I'm not alone on this idea. Tell me and those lovely admins what you think with the poll. Select the suitable options. (Should be above this post)

Thanks
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 5:36 am

I would like the idea that occasionally all towns pvp is turned off for a while so war can happen. That would make towns more interesting in my point of view.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: towny war mode   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 4:29 pm

Towny has a wargame that we have just never played with. I can double check the config for it and we could try that out. That is nation vs. nation though and is essentially capture the flag or kill the king for money in the war chest. This should enable PvP in all the towns involved in the war.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptySun Sep 23, 2012 6:16 pm

Considering that there are only 3 nations and mine is neutral..

I'm game for watching Valtax and Valoria go head to head. The nation of Noobs vs the nation of Vets.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 3:06 am

Couldn't we just keep pvp on in all the towns without having to turn it on during war? So far killing hasn't been a problem, on the contrary it's been missing completely. Could we atleast try having PvP for a while?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 4:12 am

Just because you want PvP in towns doesn't mean everyone who is part of a town would welcome that change. There are plenty of people who would prefer not to have their home PvP enabled. I feel like it's part of the reason to pay town upkeep is that you can decide the PvP status. I understand the desire for more world PvP, but I think the solution is to enable PvP in your town if you want it. I think requiring it for all towns at all times would not be very desirable for some of our players. Thoughts?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyMon Sep 24, 2012 5:42 am

I think that the towns that wish to live in peace can build a little wall and keep their doors locked. No but seriously, I think the towny system is not meant for making invincible lands in which the sole purpose is to build pretty buildings. That is what creative servers are for.

I feel that the whole purpose is that peaceful towns join with the larger military powers and create alliances. When someone in a town is killed, the town leaders should take action either in the form of a warning, assassination or war. It won't be hard to find someone to defend your village coz there are lots of good fighters on the server. Town leaders in essence become responsible for the actions of their townsfolk and this keeps the whole business under control (Stops random excessive violence).

Another side to it:
What happens if you get killed :O ?

-You don't lose any money.
-Your buildings still stand.
-Your town is still there.
-You go to spawn.
-You might lose the items you are holding D:
-The death message pops up.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 1:51 pm

If you are so for this grimmonator why don't you test it in your town, and then you will see how often me and shark are coming over to murder you. I think pvp being on at all times will just cause chaos and everytime i see someone log on i could just go through their town portal and murder their face in. If we wanted pvp allowed everywhere we wouldn't have towny, if you disagree with that i think you can find a new full pvp server to spend your time on. Bex and Street add plugins that they like and feel will create a friendly gaming enviroment, and I feel that they are doing a great job with it so far for only being a two person team. So pretty much all pvp all the time would cause a lot of the people who love this server for what is is to leave, and losing vets is always a bad thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyTue Sep 25, 2012 8:05 pm

flamingmonkies2 wrote:
If you are so for this grimmonator why don't you test it in your town, and then you will see how often me and shark are coming over to murder you. I think pvp being on at all times will just cause chaos and everytime i see someone log on i could just go through their town portal and murder their face in. If we wanted pvp allowed everywhere we wouldn't have towny, if you disagree with that i think you can find a new full pvp server to spend your time on. Bex and Street add plugins that they like and feel will create a friendly gaming enviroment, and I feel that they are doing a great job with it so far for only being a two person team. So pretty much all pvp all the time would cause a lot of the people who love this server for what is is to leave, and losing vets is always a bad thing.

In actual fact it is a pvp zone. Always has been. Yeah I get that it's nice to have a safe place to stay, but I think our town is pretty well covered in that respect, what with towny protecting our multiple tiers of high walls. Town portals are optional, hence the reason why we don't have one. Turning on pvp would simply require towns to build walls, use proper block protection, and put a little effort into a defensive plan. They would then effectively be nearly as safe as before.

The main thing, for me, is that there is little to no pvp in what is classed as a pvp server. How does one fight another player without arranging a duel of some kind? Do I camp your town border for the whole day hoping for you to leave? Might as well be non-pvp with specific pvp arenas then. In my view pvp is more than just dueling. Ambushes, raids, all can be defended against with simple counter-measures, but are incredibly fun to perform as a small group. There are no real consequences to death here either, aside from losing some xp and your current items.

I've played on multiple towny servers and have seen the different uses for towny. I wouldn't necessarily agree that it's primary function is to create a invincible zone for it's members. In fact, I've rarely seen that option given. What, then, do I see as it's main uses, ones that perhaps I'd like to see emphasized slightly more on this server? For one, towny brings players together to work on collective projects. Ever wanted to build something great? Here's a plugin that'll give you workers. And a simple method of protecting these creations. The amount of towns I see with mostly house plots is pretty damn high. More importantly, however, is that towny provides a community within a community. Ever wanted to have meaningful diplomacy? Here's the perfect setup. Leaders, assistants, rent, taxes, town specific rules. The hierarchy is all built in. I see diplomacy as one of the key features of towny, one where towns must set themselves up properly in order to prosper. Or even survive. If all I wanted from towny was a safe zone, there are plenty of no-pvp options within vanilla minecraft itself.

Clearly the idea suggested in this topic is a little extreme. Perhaps there is an alternate solution. Towns (or nations) could declare war on the forums against another town or nation. A certain time period would have to elapse, say 24 hours, before pvp was turned ON in both towns.

Why do I see this as a good solution?

This period of amnesty would allow the defending town to arm themselves and prepare. One's town would still be a safe zone while you prepare for the conflict, hence a still foreseeable but not necessarily agreed-upon duel. The integration of diplomacy into a well-bounded set of fighting rules. You call me a shit-faced son of a rooster scrotum? Say hello to my little friends after you've had time to think it over. You kill my town member in the wilderness? We'll teach you to prey on the weak and isolated. At the same time, this wouldn't really have much of an effect on the existing setup. You don't want your town to become a pvp zone? Don't kill members of large towns in the wilderness, don't tread on people's toes who you don't want showing up at your door. Manage your diplomacy properly and stay safe.

I agree that bex and streetwolf have been managing this server excellently, I wouldn't be here if I thought otherwise. But I think that there is always room for improvement. Tweaks to the existing setup, new plugins, etc. That's the reason why they've been open to suggestions. I think that my suggested solution above is a very good compromise as it doesn't necessarily affect the current status if one chooses to continue playing that way, but adds depth to players looking to the diplomacy/war side of towny and pvp.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? EmptyThu Sep 27, 2012 11:09 am

I am in total agrement with you on the war aspect, I think it would be nice to start a war aginst another town/nation and pvp turned off for a set time so the citizens of the given areas can go to the other town/nation and murder each other. I just feel that pvp all the time is too extreme. So if we can get bex or street to use towny to it's full potential and allow the times of war it would be a nice median without causing towns to have pvp on at all times and causing non-stop fighting between people. And I also see your point that it is listed in minecraft forums as a pvp server when most of the players on the server only coward in their towns for safty leaving no one in the wild to pvp aginst.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?   Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high? Empty

Back to top Go down

Are No-PvP Town Zones Necessary? Is the upkeep high?
Page 1 of 1